Sunday, March 05, 2006

Working Life

So I'm staying in Sydney for a while to make some cash.

Straight off, thanks to my market research experience (thanks MORI!), I got a job at Woolcott Research. This turned out to be almost identical to my job at MORI except that my office is located just across the road from Sydney Harbour Bridge here, and the MORI office is located just across the road from some kind of warehouse (that's not even a little bit famous).

But, money hungry thing that I am, I have decided that I need more work, more hours, more money.

Now I could have put an effort into finding an office job, but I have heard from some people that there is money to be made in traffic controlling...

I had to do two courses to get the relevant certificates to apply for traffic controlling jobs. I did these last Thursday and Friday in a little shed/classroom in Lidcombe, a suburb of Sydney. The first day was taken up with getting my "green" card - a health and safety card all construction workers must have. All guys bar this little bunch of Irish girls, who have obviously also heard about the money to be made! That day we learned all about health and safety on work sites, and at the end of the day I completed a test by pretending I was tiling a roof, stating the hazards and saying how I would make sure everything went ok.

The next day it got funnier. We were back in the shed/classroom learning the specifics this time of traffic controlling. The day was kind of structured by a training video.....with its star, a young Russell Crowe! I thought that was going to be the highlight, but no, there was more to come.

The end of the day arrived, and with it our test. Picture us, decked our in hi-vis jackets holding up a baton with Stop written on one side and Slow on another. Naturally we needed some traffic to practice on. So our instructor spent about an hour going up and down the sideroad on a red scooter, while we practised our procedures!

So now I just have to find the work. However, apparently there isn't much of it around now because it's been raining lately (construction workers knock off as soon as it starts to rain here!) If I do get the gig, I get to buy steel-capped boots, wear the full regalia (neon trousers and jacket....and hard hat!) and do an impression of being a council worker!

But I reckon it'll be a better memory than an office job.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home