Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Travelling, all glamour, all the time

All right. I'm a terrible traveller. You probably know this. I enjoy it, having a blast, but seriously, i'm very disorganised, prone to worry and have a short fuse when i'm really tired.
Some examples:
I had a complete meltdown in a chinese bank. (where complete meltdown includes, but is not limited to: incoherent swearing, clown like gesticulating, arguments that rely on the 'Just...Fucking...Because!' principle, and confusing of foreigners with half remembered junior cert language classes. -today i went around going 'i eat the bank?')
And a Danish train station.
And Hong Kong Airport
And Santiago Airport (Twice)
Various small ports in south east asia
Overnight buses make me suicidal (or homocidal, depending on whether or not you're all up in my face trying to get me to stay in your guesthouse)

So, this last few days, i've had a particularly complex bit of travelling to do. On my own. Rio- Santiago- Buenos Aires. With no Spanish or portuguese, a shortage of local currency (guaranteed to make me kick inanimate objects) 3 hours sleep a night, and lots of complicated and hitherto unknown (due to my aversion to guidebooks) airport taxes. Also, the fact that i've just apparently smuggled a mobile phone into Argentina. Anyway, I'm dead proud of myself. I didn't break down, didn't freak out (even when it looked like we were going to land in the middle of the Andes again)

I even managed to include an interlude of drinking whiskey with Chilean political activists, very inflamed about nationalisation. I think. They were speaking spanish. They may not have been activists, may in fact have been Zookeepers. My knowledge of spanish isn't great.

Anyway, I'm in Buenos Aires, alive and well.

Also, remember back in last August, I wrote this:
In my head, I'm playing the blues on a beach at sunset to a crowd of smiling brazilian girls. The waves lap in. There was a barbecue earlier, and we had freshly caught fish. I've a cold bottle of beer beside me, the moisture on the side slowly dripping down onto the sand.


That Happened! Not at the beach, but close enough!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You. I have the first series of Green Wing on DVD. You and I have a double date with ginger doctor and bumbling lady doctor. Beverages of your choice.

July 5, 2006 at 4:51 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

Well, I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to catch up with you. I'm flying off to Sydney tomorrow, but I've to go via Dubai, so no chance of droping off in South America. On the other hand I'm flying for about 24 hours straight, so I'm sure I'm do a fairly good imitation of you and explode at someone.

When do you get back to Ireland?

July 5, 2006 at 8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home