Friday, November 04, 2005

Japan

So we got to Japan, and with the help of the aforementioned Mr. Shan and two random Japanese ladies managed to get to the train station we needed.

It was here we were to split up for the first time since leaving, but also here that we realised our phones didn't work in Japan. (Funny, Japan isn't as techie as you'd think. I was expecting the cutting edge of all things technology, but no. Most people don't use electric kettles, most washing machines are cold water only, and it's nigh on impossible to get a cash machine to accept international cards unless you are smack bang in the middle of Tokyo. Credit cards? Forget using them. However, showing how strange the priority list is in Japan, almost everyone has a heated toilet seat with optional waterfall sounds!)

So anyway, Sinead & Andy were heading to Kyoto for the night, while I was planning on meeting Sammy and Marcus (past Wilsonian living in Japan) in Nagoya. Of course I didn't have contact details for anyone however, so I was in a bit of a pickle. One check of the e-mails later I found out Sammy had rented a Japanese phone for the week, so I got in touch with him on that and successfully bumbled my way to Nagoya.

One delicious meal (waiting for the first okonomiyaki restaurant to open in Dublin) and a short sleep later, it was off to Odate City for me to see Louise (another past Wilsonian living in Japan...the JET programme has been so useful for us!). Odate is way up north of the main island. I thought I would get to see some of the Japanese country side on the way...but of course I fell asleep! The Shinkansen is a very comfy train, what can I say more than that?

So I experienced Odate for the weekend. Louise was an excellent hostess, with a great mix of Japanese and Western food. She shared all of her friends for the weekend and I think we got something of a reputation there, showing up at one of the place's three pubs for three nights running!

Japanese food is really great - there was nothing I didn't enjoy. What I particularly miss are those rice cakes they sell in convenience stores...there's a market for them in Spar I reckon.

When the weekend ended it was back to Tokyo for a quick visit before flying to Hong Kong. The Japanese have a reputation of being friendly, and Sinead & I found this out when looking for our hostel. I was standing on the street with all the bags while Sinead went searching for our hostel. Without being asked, a man came up to see where I needed to go. He wasn't exactly sure where the hostel was, so out came the phone to call it and see. At which point Sinead returned, having found the place. Not to be stopped there the man inquired whether or not we intended going to Japan's south island, and offered us all a place to stay if we were!

I can't be bothered right now to describe Tokyo - perhaps someone else will give you a post on it soon...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home